25 April, 2019

Flying with anxiety

Flying triggers anxiety for many people. Airports and airplanes are stressful environments where you have to rely on others, be cautious and organized, follow a set of strict, but not always clear rules and trust others with your life and safety. Even the most resilient of us might feel nervous in places like this.
 
A big part of my anxiety is triggered by transport. Cars, subway, buses, boats, planes – you name it. I’ve had panic attacks in them all. However, I am a wandering soul, I love to travel, see the diversity of our world and the richness of different cultures. Avoiding transport is simply not an option. In fact, I strongly recommend you to face your triggers as much as possible and not let them influence the choices you make.
I can’t cure your anxiety or rid you of your fears but I hope the information I’ll share with you today will make flying easier for you.

 
Don’t drink coffee. I would even go as far as avoiding all caffeinated drinks (tea, sodas etc.). Speaking from experience, they not only increase the probability of anxiety and panic attacks but can actually intensify them. To be safe, drink a few glasses of water with your breakfast and be on your way.
 
Eat lots a few days before. This is particularly for those who feel nauseous during flight. I can not eat anything when I’m anxious. If the flight is long and/or there is a layover I can even go the whole day without food. Sticking to apples, water and coffee (when I'm sure there will be no panic attack) I feel like I’m wasting away. Now, I’ve been able to partially overcome this nausea in the past few years, but to be sure I don’t faint or arrive at the destination looking like a skeleton, I always consume more calories than my normal daily amount two-three days before. Give it a go if losing weight is a problem for you during travel. Putting on a kilo before will help you have the energy for all the movements.
 
Wear comfortable clothes. First of all, restrictive clothing will only bring you more stress, so sweats and hoodies are never a bad idea. In addition, always being able to sit down on the floor, bring your knees to your chest or curl up in your seat brings a great deal of comfort.
 
Have everything you need accessible in your carry-on. There is nothing worse than needing something on the verge of panic and not being able to find it. Have the most used things on the top and in the side pockets of your bag, so if you are ever to need anything is no more than one move away.
 
Music and relaxing talks. Prepare a playlist of your favourite music that relaxes and comforts you. It doesn’t have to be a slow lullaby-like tune. Literally, anything that brings you good memories and makes you happy. It’s good for disconnecting from stressful reality and influencing your mood.
Some talks are also effective. I love watching Prince Ea videos when I don’t feel my best. He really knows how to put it in perspective. Some TED-talks have the same effect. There are also all sorts of phone apps specifically made for talking you through anxiety and helping you meditate. I haven’t tried those yet, but I know they’ve helped many people.
Anxiety card or note. If you are travelling alone and struggle with expressing yourself in the middle of a panic attack, write a little note that says something like: “I’m having a panic attack. I don’t need medical attention. Don’t be alarmed, this will pass in a minute”. Having it in your pocket so you can give it to the person who is trying to help, but doesn’t quite know how can make a big difference.
Ask for an air sickness bag and let the staff know you struggle with anxiety if you feel the panic attack is coming. Not every airline provides air sickness bags to every passenger. Sometimes they only give it if you ask for it. I like getting it immediately just in case I hyperventilate or feel sick. Letting flight attendants know your situation will make you feel safer and make them feel a lot more secure with choices they make if you have a panic attack. Knowing there is nothing wrong and you are not in danger will put them at ease. Trust me, their job is stressful enough without being worried for your life.
This is it for today. Thank you for tuning in. Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Small things you can do today to battle climate change

Climate change is a very serious thing that, unfortunately, has to deal with a lot of denial these days. Don't doubt, it's a real i...